24 October 2006

The Man Who Ate Everything

Such mixed emotions - the guilt of having done absolutely nothing today (not even the trip to the gym; I'm using my uncharged Ipod Mini as an excuse) and the joy of having done absolutely nothing today.

Not even my kitchen tempts me, though that could be partly explained its disorganised state that is very off-putting. But that's not to say that I have lost any interest in food or cooking for that matter. On the contrary, I'm getting more interested in the Science of cooking. Google Harold McGee, Heston Blumenthal and Ferran Adria for an idea of what all that entails.

Meanwhile, I'm starting with a more accessible and entertaining book temptingly called 'The Man Who Ate Everything'- Jeffry Steingarten. So far, so good. It went into lengths explaining what goes behind simple mashed potatoes and how to create the perfect mash. It explored the 'French Paradox' and the efforts one has to go to make bread from scratch (and I mean from scratch - creating his own active yeast).

But I've built up a long list of other (food-related)
books
I
can't
wait
to
splurge
my
subsequent
paychecks
on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't miss his following title, It must've been something I ate :P

Anonymous said...

=) He's so entertaining, even in his titles. I really enjoy his book!