02 September 2006

Pork Belly

Foie Gras, Fatty Char Siew, Marrow and now Pork Belly. All the things I would gladly shorten my life for with every bite. And because this was only a recent enlightenment, when I tried Anderson Ho's recipe for a Oolong Tea Steeped Quail Egg and Pork Belly quite a while ago, I erroneously substituted the Pork Belly. As if that was not enough, I FOOLISHLY chose chicken breasts which do not take well to braising. At all. Sadly, I had to commit such a sin while preparing for a party.

But the sauce that resulted from the braising was amazing and was even better the next day with some duck. So after having been hit hard by the previous failure, I was determined to follow the recipe more closely this time and bought a generous portion of pork belly.


But like I have commented before, his recipes omit many crucial steps that you would only realise after trying it out. For example, he says to add all the braising liquid ingredients into a pot to simmer. One of the ingredients is Oolong tea leaves. As you can imagine, if you were to add this to the braising liquid directly, the tea leaves would cling to your pork belly and be everywhere in the sauce. So I recommend placing them, together with your spices, in a muslin bag for easier retrieval later on.

Also, I'm not sure how he manages to create such perfect looking slices of pork belly. But if presentation is as important to you as it is to me, I would make the pork belly the night before, then refrigerate the meat overnight. Slicing it when cold is alot easier, and made even more effortless with a Kasumi knife. It really was like slicing through butter. You could then return the pork belly to some heated thickened sauce and serve. Such advance preparation also makes creating a dinner party a little more stress free, unlike creating a pasta dish that has to be served as soon as it has reached al dente stage.

This really is an easy recipe that everyone should try. It just takes a little time but requires little effort. The result is amazingly satisfying and worth every moment away from your beloved computer or television. Who wouldn't want to have some fork tender pork belly with those heavenly layers of pork fat?


Oolong Tea Steeped Pork Belly
Adapted from Menu Degustation
4 servings

Ingredients
20g Oolong tea leaves
15ml dark soy sauce
100ml light soy sauce
3 cinnamon sticks
2 cloves
3 star anise
1.5 litres chicken stock
1 inch knob of ginger (optional)
1/4 cup rice wine (optional)
25g rock sugar
200g pork belly, cleaned, plucked, and rubbed with five spice powder, salt and black pepper
Cornstarch, dissolved in water

Method
Wrap Oolong tea leaves, cinnamon sticks, cloves and star anise in a piece of muslin and secure it close. Add it to chicken stock, soy sauces, ginger and rice wine in a pot and simmer for 20 minutes.

Sear pork belly on all sides on high heat then simmer in the braising liquid for an hour or until tender (I braised it for 2 over hours and it was fine).

One ready, remove pork belly and slice.

Bring braising liquid to boil until it has thickened into almost a syrup, while adjusting for taste with sugar and salt. Add cornstarch solution if necessary.

Serve pork belly with sauce and garnish with crispy shallots and coriander.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What else could you use besides pork belly if the chicken didn't work? Pork shoulder? I really don't like pork belly. It's the fat, I hate chewing on it.

Anonymous said...

Hiya, I hope you'll reconsider pork belly because it was tender and soft all over. But if you really don't like pork belly, you could use duck wings and drumsticks too. I hope you try it soon and tell me how it goes!

Sammy said...

Hi! Nice dish. I'm not that crazy into pork belly (although my gf is crazy for it)and chicken thigh would be a great substitute! :)

Anonymous said...

TYD> Have you tried it with duck? It might work better :)

Sammy said...

haha nah not really a duck fan. May tryin the future tho! :)

Anonymous said...

Well I tried it with the most un-braiseable of meats, fish. I used salmon, figuring that the fat content would help, seeing how pork belly is fatty. Deductive reasoning I guess. It was so delicious. I only braised the salmon for a few minutes, and it was tender on the inside and that sauce. Wow. Thanks for the recipe. I put a post and picture on my blog if you have time to check it out.

PS. What is the difference between light and dark soy sauce? Korea, far as I know only has one choice.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm really happy that you tried the recipe out, and knew how not to leave the fish in for too long. In fact it sounded like you did it perfectly. I'll definitely check out your write up on it soon.
Dark sauce is actually thicker and sweeter. It gives the sauce its dark colour. But if you have some sweet sauce, you could replace it with that and add just a little more light soy sauce, and cut down on the sugar. =)