03 September 2006

Fuschia Icing


A long-time friend had gotten me to help her bake some cupcakes for her parents' 25th wedding anniversary. 'Something healthy', she asked. So that eliminated any inclusion of chocolate, peanut butter, or the combination of both. I ended up going with a carrot cupcake with lemon creamcheese frosting, but panicked when I couldn't find for my old kick-ass recipe that I had jotted down in one of those kitchen diaries that eventually got forgotten.

I needed to find one quick, and one that worked. I needed an authority on cupcakes and that's when I thought of CupcakeBlog. I've been to her site umpteen times, oogling at the photos and her descriptions of the cake. In awe of her inspirations and her meticulousness in preparing the ingredients, something I have yet to master. Considering the MANY cupcakes she had prepared, I had no doubt that she would have a recipe at hand for carrot cupcakes, and she did not fail me.

So with a little adaptation, I tried her recipe and I'm glad to announce that it works wonderfully. The carrot cupcake stayed moist even after 2 days and had a good amount of crumble in it. After an episode of trying to COME UP with a recipe for carrot cupcakes based on experience and memory, and achieving dense kueh rather than cake, I now know how to appreciate cake with a fair amount of fluffy crumb without being dry.

I did make a few alterations to the recipe though:
-replace 1/2 cup orange pulp with milk
-replace buttermilk with fresh milk and a few drops of lemon juice
-add 3 handfuls of coarsely chopped Californian walnuts (which are less bitter even when raw) and 2 handfuls of raisins
-omit orange juice in frosting
-add a few drops of lemon juice to frosting

I also created some icing in fuschia and made a little attempt at 'art'. Looking back, I should have just tinted the remaining frosting and used it to pipe the hearts instead, since they would be less prone to spreading.

Frankly, I haven't tried the cupcake as a whole with the icing since I wanted to give my friend a few extra cupcakes. But both the cupcake and the frosting tasted good, and held well. This cupcake is a keeper, and so is the website!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah daffy scored again! is icing fun? i've never tried.
if only i can find muffin tins/pans in this place! yeh i always drool when i see chockylit's blog. alas...

:: Pastry Girl :: said...

sorry daffy! I forgot to send u the recipe. Aiya. Tmr i am baking some Swedish apple cupcakes for mum bday..send u the recipe if it worked out well. :p

Anonymous said...

T> Icing is fun indeed! But it gets a little gloppy and spreads a little. So perhaps some cream cheese frosting would be better. Oh they don't have those tins or pans? Horrible!

LC> No worries =) I'd love if you could do that.

Shu> I'm really glad they loved it and I actually forgot to leave out the frosting for 2 of them for your mum! I'm sorry! And it was really my pleasure making them. I am just sorry that the icing spread a little and it didn't look as pretty as I wished it to be. =)