30 September 2006

My Gentle Bunny


I've been out of action recently, and so many things are happening in my life now!

Just this week, I've been through peaks and valleys emotionally, started a rather draining job (but it should get better), and really the most heart-warming of all - I got my little bunny. I've named my furry three-month old companion an endearing Moka.

He was a surprise and advanced birthday gift from my dearest girlfriend - Yin, in partnership with my bandmate - Lionel. I love her to a million bits for this ultra-thoughtful and timely gift that came on my first day of work where I was really tired at the end of it all. I was hoping Lionel would allow me to skip that day's rehearsal but he was oddly insistent on practising some songs, so I dragged myself to his place only to find Yin there with my lovely Moka. That whole plan really explains Lionel's overenthusiastic behaviour towards rehearsing.

Anyway, I feel partially like a parent already. The first night I had my lop-eared Moka under my protective paws, I did much research online to find out how best to care for him. What to feed, what foods to limit, and what to avoid. The optimal temperatures for a bunny, and how to play with him. How often to change his bedding, take him out for a play around etc etc etc. I then wrote it all out neatly so my family would be informed as well and not end up poisoning it with lettuce.

And already, my family has grown quite attached to him. Even my father has started giving the little bunny small portions of guava or jambu. My mum is in charge of feeding him his rabbit pellets every morning and my brother plays with him everyday.

But friends keep making jokes about my Moka, and about how I should keep fattening him up for a good meal one day. I'm a foodie but there are some things I just won't do. NO way ho-zay.

9 comments:

Chubby Hubby said...

Very cute. When can Alix make a play date?

Anonymous said...

=) Once I've got Moka used to its cage and used to travelling around in a bunny bag, then I'll bring him to Alix for a sniff.

Anonymous said...

So cute! I wonder if Moka will like Japanese (bunny) food...

Anonymous said...

By the looks of how he is constantly eating almost everything we feed him, yes! He's a real greedy pig, and one problem we face is that we don't know who has fed what. So we just keep feeding, and Moka just keeps eating. So I'm sure bunny food, Japanese or Indian or Singaporean, will be absolutely welcome! =) But please, I haven't even sent you your package yet and feel absolutely guilty!

Sammy said...

Way cute!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been coming by your journal now and then, and I love your creations in the kitchen :)

Moka is uber-cute! How big will he grow to?

I had a guinea pig called (haha!) Piggy! I've two doggies now :)

Anonymous said...

YD> I agree! lop eared babies are irresistible.

Esther> Hi there! I'm told that Moka will grow to about perhaps 3-4 times his current size. He'll still be my little baby though. I'm hoping to get dogs next time when I get my own place! =) My parents are not in favour of a pet that requires too much commitment for now since we're all kind of busy.

Anonymous said...

aww what a darling!

Anonymous said...

He really is :) I'm so in love!