24 September 2006

Fowl Play

This post would not have been possible without My Brother- The Hawker Guru.

While I was in UK playing around with recipes I sourced online, it seems like he was back home exploring this tiny island for good quality hawker food with his colleagues and friends. He would travel far and wide (granted that our little city isn't really very big however) in pursuit of the best. Just the other time, he did bring me to what is now officially my favourite Roast Duck haunt.

Today's recommendation however, is somewhere to get your regular Chicken Rice fix.

It is not the first time that I've visited this stall though, I must admit. In fact, I may be just slightly prejudiced because my first impression of Chicken Rice came from this specific stall in Margaret Drive, around the Queenstown area. I grew up there and had extremely fond memories of my late grandfather and a dog named Pepper and a puppy named Noisy. Subsequently, my visits to this Chicken Rice stall dwindled especially since it is rather inacccessible without a car.

Ever since my strong interest in food started, I haven't patronised their stall though. My brother on the other hand, has been a regular customer, visiting them virtually every week. This was particularly apparent to me the way we received a resounding welcome the moment the bosses and his workers saw him when he brought me there for lunch today. Now on to the food.


We ordered two side dishes of perfect Stir-fried Beansprouts and delicious (but gruesome to some) Bo Li Ji Jiao (literally translated: Glass Chicken Feet). The beansprouts were perfect in every aspect and was the precise plate of beansprouts that ended my brother's hate-hate relationship with beansprouts. They were crunchy without tasting in the least bit raw, and not oversalted like what some places tend to do, hence allowing their delicate flavour to shine.


Of course, what's a meal at a Chicken Rice stall without the chicken? Frankly, they were faultless. Each piece super tender, juicy and flavourful. No disgusting clumps of chicken fat, but slippery pieces of gorgeous pale yellow skin and moist, supple white flesh. I wolfed down even the breast meat, which I usually avoid because they tend to be extremely dry and sometimes even powdery, none of which could be used to describe the specimens from this stall.

Half a chicken, two side dishes and two plates of fluffy and fragrant chicken rice for two people. Indeed, it was alot but believe me when I say that my brother and I lapped up every morsel.

This place is call Sin Kee Chicken Rice, on the second floor of a hawker centre situated at Margaret drive. Practically the entire floor would be packed with their patrons during lunch or dinner times, which explains the many ousted empty stalls adjacent to the chicken rice stall.



My brother and Steven.


The story behind this Chicken Rice stall is actually rather convoluted and hushed up, such that even I don't know the whole story. But Steven (as written on his name card, without a last name) took over Sin Kee, having been the chicken distributor for the previous owner, just about 7-8 years ago and business has been bustling ever since.



The workers of the previous owner stayed on with Steven, ensuring the same quality. Nothing changed, right down to the uncle who chops the chicken into chunky and succulent bits, except the recipe for the chilli sauce. It packs more heat and is just a little more sour, a directive from Steven himself, and totally agreeable with me.




The uncle in blue was most hilarious and game for the camera, something I absolute appreciate now that my camera is almost always by my side. He too, has been with Sin Kee probably since before I was even born. I love the nostalgia that came with revisiting this old place, and the sense of history I got when I saw the-uncle-who-chops chicken, or the-uncle-in-blue.


This was truly the BEST Chicken Rice I've ever had, making it by default as well the most value for money Chicken Rice meal I've ever had. Each component was flawless and if anyone thinks there's another stall with even better chicken rice, I'll be game to take on the challenge. Just a point to note however, to those who intend to head there sometime soon. It does not serve Roast Chicken or any soup to accompany your meal. Only the basic unroasted Bai Zhan Ji (literally translated: White Chopped Chicken), and the few side dishes. But trust me, these would be enough to bring you to cloud 9. Please also order the very innocent sounding beansprouts dish.

Sin Kee Chicken Rice
Margaret Drive Food Centre
Block 40-A #02-548
Tel: 64710355
Closed on Mondays

12 comments:

Ms Ma said...

Your brother is cute!

Anonymous said...

You can try the tian tian chicken rice at maxwell market. It's really good.... some people like the one opposite novena church. :)

Chubby Hubby said...

Looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for the recomemendation.

downinthedumps said...

daffy!i know that place.frequent it a lot also but i dont really like them now cuz they cheated me. I told them i wanted half chicken too and they asked how many ppl and i said two.then my chicken came,damn obvious it wasnt half lor.dammit.

speaking of which,the place opp novena church is much better i think. and try the popiah guy at margaret drive too.very good

Anonymous said...

MM> Is he? I'll let him know that someone thinks that of him. It'll make him happy for at least a month. =)

K> Yes, Cheryl from over at BakerWhoCooks just blogged about it too. I've yet to try it and it is on my to-do (or rather to-eat) list. I'll let you know which one is better next time. Novena Church one I've tried, but didn't fancy at all actually.

CH> Hope you try it soon and like it too!

Roxanne> Really? Maybe they just got orders confused. They are indeed extremely friendly though it could be because of my brother. Anyway, like I was telling Kelvin above, I don't like the novena church one. And the popiah is also in the hawker centre? Or are you referring to the one along the road, selling popiah skins as well?

Anonymous said...

One downside of eating here is that during peak hours, its jam packed, even filling up the other side of the 2nd floor. So much so that they either fumble your order or worse totally forget about it.

Our parents suffered that fate once.

Moral of the story? Try to avoid peak hours and everything will be just fine and dandy. Thats what i do nowadays. =)

Anonymous said...

Looks really good! your photos are getting better and better.=)
I find the one opposite Novena,( Wee Nam Kee) ok. it's alrite. But my fave has to be the one on Hainan Street. that one was amazing.

Anonymous said...

My brother is right, even at 2pm when we arrived, it was still bustling with activity.

N> Thank you. Hainan street you say? I'm going to give all these a try, but you check out Sin Kee and let me know how you find it.

Sammy said...

Heyo Daffy! my family used to frequent tt place in the past a long long time ago. I think before the new owner came in. anyways, their rice is really good and of course good chicken to compliment it. i haven't been there in a while tho. Oh btw, did u receive my invite on msn? i already added ur mail to my contacts

Anonymous said...

YD> Do go back and try it again! I'm sure it'd be fantastic.
Yes I've added you =)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

That's right, they have moved just a little farther away, but I still stick to the Sin Kee at the original location. Perhaps the location has much part to play in invoking childhood memories as well =) Have you tried both? Any difference in quality?

Anonymous said...

this is not the original sin kee, but the one opened by one of the employees. i am not exactly sure what happened, but the original stall (with better chicken!) is now at Block 159 Mei Chin Road #02-89G Mei Chin Road Market & Cooked Food Centre

- i grew up eating this chicken rice. nothing, and i mean nothing, has beat it so far. (even the chatterbox chicken rice)