09 February 2009

Simply Bread

What makes you want to return to a cafe or a restaurant?

Good food.
Excellent service.
Pleasing ambience.
Generosity?

I am generally put off when certain places are not generous with their servings, serviets and in some places - water. It is one thing to serve smaller portions of that pork belly per person because it is quite fatty and few people can eat more than that anyway, but a totally different matter when some places do not serve tap water and instead only serve bottled water at a cost.

It is great to know that in places such as Simply Bread, one never has to put up with that kind of arrogance. I remember the joy I felt when I found out that the bakery was about to join the neighbourhood. Alright, so 'neighbourhood' is a stretch but in the neighbourhood I stay the pickings are slim.

In Simply Bread, generosity is the order of the day.They are eager to help anyone who seems to have problems picking a loaf to buy. The Bruschetta we ordered for a snack was enough for 2 to share. Juicy chunks of tomatoes tossed through fragrant olive oil and dried rosemary were in abundance. I thoroughly enjoyed the refreshing tang of the tomatoes and even enjoyed them on their own when all the ciabatta had disappeared.


But what is most irresistable in Simply Bread has got to be the Sticky Bun. Truth be told, I haven't tried very much else. I always resolve to order something different before I enter the bakery, but my determination falters the moment the heavy cinnamon aroma hits my olfactory. The deep, dark caramelised cap belies its soft, almost cakey texture. Not overly sweet but marvellously intense in spices, this is the ultimate Sticky Bun that I've had over and over again everytime I visit.
Of course, serviets and water are free for all.

Simply Bread
1 Fifth Avenue
#01-03 Guthrie House
Tel 6466 7767

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness, the cinnabon looks great! I'm a huge fan of cinnamon rolls, and this looks really fluffy and tantalising. Thanks for sharing the info :)

Daffy said...

Hi! I've been checking out your blog, and your muffins (no pun intended) look amazing. You made some cinnamon rolls yourself, which look just as delicious!