26 December 2007

These are a few of my favourite things...


Before I left Singapore to study in UK for 3 years, I was a big fan of bread. Bread in sandwiches, croutons in salads, old bread in bread pudding, thinly sliced and toasted bread in crostinis etc...... I would gladly choose to dine in delicatessens over the restaurant next door or try the famous wanton noodles at the hawker centre down the road.


That I had forgotten my roots, was not an uncommon accusation tossed my way by friends who have been victim to my sandwich-craze. Foccacia, ciabatta, wholewheat, walnut, spinach and cheese, rye, oatmeal, multi-grain; ham, roast beef, slow-braised pork, pulled pork, roast chicken, pan-fried prawns, roasted vegetables; onion marmalade, wasabi aioli, avocado puree, mustard, tartare sauce, curried mayonnaise; iceberg lettuce, rocket, spinach, cucumber slices etc...... all the permutations and combinations were mind-boggling and extremely exciting.


Of course, all this was until I went to UK, the land of roast beef, yorkshire puddings, baked potatoes and sandwiches. For the first couple of weeks of course, I was over the moon with the variety of sandwiches there. But as you can imagine, I slowly got sick and tired of it all and started craving for Laksa, Mee Hoon Kuay, Ice Kacang and Muah Chee, among other things.

So when I came back home each holiday, I would not waste much time satisfying all my cravings, eating ONLY local grub for each meal.


Now that I've been back for a year and a half, I guess I'm no longer reeling from the thought of eating sandwiches for lunch anymore, and have started loving the smell of freshly baked bread again. I know I've recovered entirely when I walk into Culina at Dempsey, spot a gorgeous hunk of sundried tomato foccacia and grab it without a moment's hesitation.

I also got some camembert cheese from Culina to go with it. Now I don't like strong cheeses, and camembert falls into that category for me. But a life-changing experience with a truffle-infused camembert cheese during one of my visits to my aunt in Paris made me a different person. While I've been hunting for it in Singapore ever since, I've never gotten lucky. But combining a dollop of Tetsuya's black-truffle salsa (also from Culina) with some soft camembert cheese is as good as it gets.


With a scarily overwhelming stock of leftover ham from all the Christmas feasting, I took the opportunity to create a little supper platter by combining a few of my favourite things - black-truffle salsa with camembert cheese, a couple of slices of comforting ham, a small portion of leftover oven roasted cherry tomatoes kept in mandarin-orange infused olive oil, and a chunk of that flavourful sundried tomato foccacia bread.

I don't think I could have felt any happier enjoying every single morsel on that platter. It was a great post-christmas moment, and wrapped up my Christmas beautifully.

No comments: