04 January 2007

Practice makes perfect


In my previous post, I spoke of how my brother requested me to teach him how to make eggs benedict from scratch. I was only more than happy to, despite not having poached eggs before myself. It couldn't be all that difficult, could it?

The verdict is - it really isn't all that difficult at all. Sure, our first poached egg came out a little rough on the edges and perhaps a little overcooked. But our second poached egg, after adjusting the fire a little and being a little more gentle with our slotted spoon, emerged with perfect curves. Did I also mention that we also had to abandon our first failed attempt at hollandaise sauce because we had overcooked the whisked egg mixture? So I bought another block of butter and we started all over again. The sense of satisfaction seeing your egg yolks turn creamier and thicker as you drizzle in your melted butter while whisking at the same time, is indescribable.

Sure, we did take a couple of hours making an eggs benedict for each of us, and it wasn't even the authentic eggs ben since we conveniently substituted ham with sliced cheese sausage. But the moment you pierce your fork through your poached egg and witness all that glorious deep yellow liquid mix with the creamy and rich hollandaise sauce all over the sliced cheese sausage and your freshly baked bun, it all becomes worth it, and sausage or ham does not really matter anymore. Not a single second spent on creating that one dish would have been a waste.

Now, my brother will just have to find a lady who is content on having eggs benedict every morning for breakfast, for the rest of her life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm....

Chubby Hubby said...

Sliced cheese sausage?

Anonymous said...

S&CH> :) Would you believe this was my first poached egg? And even then, I didn't handle the egg, my brother did! And we were too lazy to head out for some proper ham so made do with sliced, cheese sausage. It's not that big of a travesty as the beef 'stroganoff' the other time, I'm sure. Or hope. *gulp*