12 September 2006

Portobello Aglio Olio


The potluck in the previous entry saw me making some Portobello Pasta using an Aglio E Olio recipe that I kind of came up myself after browsing a few recipes online. But since I've got access to an enormous library of cookbooks recently, I decided to pick out an Italian cookbook and follow a proper Aglio E Olio recipe.

Since I'm such a visual person, I chose a recipe from The Food of Italy by Sophie Braimbridge and Jo Glynn. Nevermind that I had never heard of them before, or even seen this cookbook before. The photos in them were tantalising enough for me. They also seemed to provide a comprehensive list of recipes, from Antipastis to Pizzas and Breads, to Desserts.

Their Spaghettini Aglio E Olio recipe was different from the one I used the other day in that the garlic was not painstakingly sliced, and did not have to be browned till crisp. This made preparing the dish a lot easier, of course. But this also meant that the garlic flavour was not as pronounced, though this would be good for people who, unlike me, adore garlic. All I did in addition was add some thickly sliced portobellos and crisp fried basil, which may have adulterated this simple traditional pasta dish, but gave the dish a little more character.


Guess who wanted some, but couldn't get any. It was difficult resisting those pleading bambi eyes though.
My Fettucine Aglio E Olio
Serves 4
Ingredients
400g Spaghettini
90ml olive oil
5 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 of a big, red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
4 Portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced (optional)
a handful of basil leaves, deep fried in olive oil (deep frying is optional)
grated Parmegiano Reggiano
salt and pepper to taste
Method
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente.
Heat the oil in large frying pan over low heat.
Add the garlic and chilli and gently fry for about 2 minutes, or until the garlic has softened and slightly browned at the edges.
Just before removing pan from heat, fry basil leaves.
Heat portobellos in about 1 tbspn of the olive oil and a tbspn of water over medium heat until softened and all water has dried up.
Lightly drain the spaghettini, reserving a little of the cooking water.
Return the frying pan to heat and add the spaghettini, and portobellows and toss to coat.
Taste for seasoning with salt and pepper and serve at once with grated parmegiano.

6 comments:

Sammy said...

Your dog looks reaaaally cute

Anonymous said...

was that the lunch i missed today????????
shuckssssssssssssssssss

fe li ci a said...

wah.. it looks damn good. not the dog... hehehe.. not much of a dog lover la me...

yes. as you can see. i am slacking at work...my window is minimized to the max and hidden at the bottom right corner of my screen man.. hahahahahaha....

so early blog liao ah. very good very good... at least i got something to read.. hahaha..

take care man. i bring carrots for Cocoa soon oke?

AHHAHAHAHAH

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much =)
Stop slacking! But I also slack a little at work, so I forgive you. And please don't call moka cocoa. She/He might get identity crisis!

Anonymous said...

YD> She's not mine! But I'm enjoying time with her while I can =) She is adorable.

Val> Yes you toot!

Anonymous said...

you should look at anna del conte, marcella hazan & giuliano bugialli.