22 September 2006

My New Hangout


I think I've been spending an inordinate amount of time at Robertson Walk recently. Ever since I got introduced to it at the Food Bloggers' Gathering, I've not been able to get it out of my mind. Worse still, I had to find out about the new eateries in the vicinity - Brasserie Wolf and The Chocolate Factory.

While I love exploring new places, I also love going back to restaurants I've dined at before just to see if the second experience lives up to my first impression. When friends ask me out for dinner and get me to suggest places, I usually take the opportunity to recommend to them such places that I've enjoyed thoroughly. I rarely suggest somewhere I haven't personally tried unless the thumbs up came from someone whose tastebuds I trust.

So when a bunch of girlfriends asked me where to head to for dinner one night, I eagerly suggested Sage. My fanaticism with Sage did not stop there, as I suggested it as a dinner venue the following day with another friend. Kimberly, the manager, as well as the other wait staff must have been pleasantly surprised by my overenthusiasm. On both occasions that I went back, I left feeling extremely satisfied. Unfortunately, my phototaking skills have not been able to live up to my expectations, and I only managed to get one decent photo.

While the Chestnut Mousseline with Oxtail Consomme and truffle oil was not on the menu, Kimberly wonderfully offered to prepare two servings just for me and my friend. The starters that I tried on both nights were really good, but I preferred the Quail Risotto to the Venison Carpaccio. I found the former more substantial, and flavourful. However, the sweet carrot puree that came with the Venison was really addictive.

I was extremely tempted to try the US Corn Fed Beef Shortribs with Foie Gras and Bone Marrow, because of the phenomenal experience I had previously. But I decided to be more adventurous and tried a Pig Trotter for my first night, and the Lamb Shank Ravioli (pictured above) for my second. If you were to ask me which I preferred, I frankly would not be able to tell you. Chef Jusman certainly does his meats well - deliciously tender, moist and flavourful.

The Pig Trotter had some Asian influences and was artfully presented in a tight circular package. The Lamb Shank Ravioli came in beautiful delicate packages, in some jus and basil oil. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the slightly tangy sauce that was on top. I just have fond memories of how harmoniously they all melded together, and how I started feeling a little sad towards the last few bites of my dish.

Of course, I also went back to The Chocolate Factory. This time, I tried a Grand Marnier Souffle that did not let me down at all. I would have been back twice as well, after dinner at Sage, if not for the fact that my girlfriends and I were rushing off somewhere after dinner.

Bliss can be found at Robertson Walk.


Sage, The Restaurant
11 Unity Street
#02 -12 Robertson Walk
Tel: 6333 8726

The Chocolate Factory
The Pier on Robertson Quay
80 Mohamed Sultan Road
#01-11
Tel: 62359007

2 comments:

:: Pastry Girl :: said...

Wow.. you make me crave for some Sage's desserts right now!! We still have yet to go back there for desserts..haha. I enjoy reading yr blog esp with how you describe yr food! ^^

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda,
I'm glad you do. You should definitely go back to Sage soon! And this time try the Lamb Shank Ravioli or Pig Trotter. =)