22 August 2006

Toast

Chocolate and banana muffin with peanut butter frosting, and Camomile tea with a shot of honey


'Me-time'
noun
(mEE-Tai-M)

1. A duration spent only with oneself in order to reflect upon past events.
2. A duration spent only with oneself in order to think about the future.
3. A duration spent only with oneself, just because.


I take plenty of me-times whenever I have to. When I feel like I have a lot on my mind, or have lost a sense of purpose, that's when I need it the most. Today presented the perfect opportunity to dig out my dusty but still lovely purple suede diary, to pen down what has happened since the last entry.

The environment plays a big part when it comes to me-time, simply because there is no companion to distract you from the surroundings. It is just you and everything else around you. I needed to find somewhere more secluded, less crowded, but with a good selection of comfort food/drinks. The fact that I happened to be in town when I decided I needed some time alone, made things a little more tricky.

Even though it was a weekday afternoon, the streets were still bustling with activity. The street cafes were not quiet enough, and were constantly interrupted by the noise and pollution from vehicles running around. I frown upon franchised/global cafes like starbucks or coffeebean, because yes, I'm a snob. But as I ran through my mental list of cafes or little eateries nearby, I realised I was simply surrounded by them. That is, until I remembered a friend telling me about this small cafe tucked in a very ulu ('desolate') part of Ngee Ann City.

I recalled his difficulty in describing the location to me, and that helped me secure the deal. I really needed somewhere less crowded for me to guiltlessly take my time writing my diary entry without feeling hurried by the staff. I was hoping this little cafe would be more private since it was rather out of the way. The fact that this little cafe is under the Marmalade Group also contributed of course because I've heard much about Marmalade Pantry at Palais Renaissance (also along Orchard Road) and had a good impression of it the last time I went.

The staff were extremely friendly and earnest in answering my questions ('Where's your tea from?' or 'Where'd you get these beautiful shot glasses?'), as well as helpful in offering suggestions on what to order. As I looked around, I saw gorgeous looking tai-tais and handsome expatriates with avocado and chicken wraps, or some mediterranean cous cous. With my Elvis Muffin (Chocolate and Banana, with Peanut Butter Frosting) and a generous (and refillable) mug of Camomile tea (accompanied by a shot glass of honey of course), I plonked myself down gratefully and started unloading my mind into my diary.

The staff left me to my own thoughts, and never once disturbed me. Every other customer was too caught up in their own conversations to bother about this odd girl scribbling endlessly. It really was my perfect sanctuary for the afternoon, and I left the place lighter (though fuller as well) and much happier too. But I heard that I was lucky to escape the lunch crowd. So if you're finding for a peaceful hideaway in town one weekday afternoon (2-ish), Toast is the place to go.

Toast
Unit 02-11 Ngee Ann City (Takashimaya)
Tel no. 67338489
or
Unit 01-09 OUB Centre
Tel no. 65341755

2 comments:

diddy said...

i agree! Everyone needs a little "me time" now and then. Mine would be cuddled up with a big bowl of ice cream and a good magazine or cookbook!

Anonymous said...

Ice cream and a cookbook sounds fantastic =)